house – day 87 – cock-up

On the way to the house, I stopped off at Wickes for some frame fixings and picked up Hardiebacker board from Topps Tiles to clad the studwork I put in yesterday.

By the time I got to the house, Chris had grouted the kitchen floor tiles he’d laid over the weekend – they do look really good and Chris has done an excellent job.

The kitchen appliances were delivered around midday (and checked). Excellent service all the way, from City Kitchens in Canterbury, can’t recommend them highly enough.

After the grout had set and Chris had covered the floor with plastic sheeting and cardboard packaging. He marked out the location of the kitchen cabinets (on my newly painted kitchen walls). He’d also managed to get the plumbers to put the pipework in place for the kitchen and an external tap – something we’d overlooked earlier, but really necessary. For the rest of the day the plumbers were in the roof space installing the main water tank. At one point, they had to go out to get more timber as they’d run out, it seems it’s a big tank and a big roof space.

I re-painted kitchen ceiling, hopefully the third and final coat.

Before I left, I cut new supports for the upstairs shower tray (the ones I’d cut earlier had gone missing) and fixed them in place, now that I know where the tray waste was located.

When I got home, I checked my email (as I always do) and there was one from Chris, which, for once justified my paranoia, it wasn’t great news. It turns out when the kitchen was being plastered last week, the fireproof cladding for RSJ had inadvertently been substituted with something less heat resistant. It was an honest mistake, unfortunately one that meant the current plaster and cladding had to be removed and the original reinstated. I’d noticed the board lying on the floor, but had not recognised its signficance. Which means, of course, part of the kitchen had to be repainted again. Just when I thought I’d finished, bugger!